Saturday 5 October 2013

Bullshit Religion

Religion is shit, simple as that. My school is a Catholic one so at the start of each year we have this opening mass and a closing one at the end of the year. These are pretty much the only two times in the year when the whole school are together as one, so that's cool, I guess. Other than that the mass is shit but this year particularly so because of it being our centenary and all that. So we had the archbishop saying the mass which I guess is a big deal (there being only two of them in the country) but it really didn't change anything much, although I'm fairly sure it was longer than usual. A few of us in our year who were atheists or of different religions kind of got together to try and get out of going, it was a futile attempt but it was worth a shot. So we went to mass, after we remembered that a teacher went back to check the bathrooms after everyone left to make sure no-one was hiding out there, we decided that we would sit together in a group somewhere and not participate in the slightest while still remaining respectfully silent (it was the first mass I've vet been to where I haven't gotten into trouble for talking). It was our way of saying we respect you enough to remain quiet but don't believe in your religion so we won't take part in it but won't stop anyone else from taking part. Which should be perfectly alright and we talked to a teacher just before we went in to see if we had to take part (basically just letting them know that we wouldn't be) an she said that we didn't so we took her word for it, knowing if we were given out to we could refer back to this as a defence. So the mass was grand, my ass really hurt from sitting still for two hours straight, I genuinely didn't move anything but my head more than a tiny amount. At the end of the mass when everyone was told to stand for the archbishop leaving we remained sitting as we had before, I mean there was only five of us just there, if we hadn't been on the aisle I doubt anyone would really have noticed but I'm glad they did. After he had gone past, at this point I'm going to tell you that he acknowledged us with a small smile clearly with no objections, one of my past German teachers came over to us and started yelling things like 'have you broken all your legs?' and 'how dare you be so disrespectful' at us. Which is ridiculous because we were doing nothing wrong, through that we just didn't say anything and the second she was out of earshot we started giving out about it and continued until a while after we got back to the school.
     Bye, 
     Ruska

No comments:

Post a Comment